jean hagen white christmas

She began to drink so heavily that she fell into a coma in 1968. Facts Verse Our parents were very family-oriented people, very close. Jean Hagen (born Jean Shirley Verhagen; [a] August 3, 1923 - August 29, 1977) was an American actress best known for her role as Lina Lamont in Singin' in the Rain (1952), for which she was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress. For one reason, she was far younger (50s) than the other residents. While Robert Urich was famous for doing battle with tough foes on the screen. Future Oscar winner George Chakiris also appears[8] as one of the stone-faced black-clad dancers surrounding Rosemary Clooney in "Love, You Didn't Do Right by Me". [10], Berlin wrote "A Singer, A Dancer" for Crosby and his planned co-star Fred Astaire; when Astaire became unavailable, Berlin re-wrote it as "A Crooner A Comic" for Crosby and Donald O'Connor, but when O'Connor left the project, so did the song. [15] Overall, the film grossed $30 million at the domestic box office. Hagen and her family moved to Elkhart, Indiana when she was twelve; she subsequently graduated from Elkhart High School. He found Jean aloof, though granting that she worked as hard as anyone else. Patricia Neal is best known for several roles, including Emily Eustace Failenson in Breakfast at Tiffanys, as well as her role as Alma Brown in the movie Hud. I didnt even know about it until I found a bottle of Scotch in a drawer in my bedroom, and I confronted her about it., Hagen made occasional television appearances and played Fred MacMurrays wife in Disneys The Shaggy Dog (1959) and Ray Millands in Panic in Year Zero! Hagen played Doll Conover, a woman who sticks by criminal Dix's side until the bitter end. Jean Elizabeth Hagen Resides in Waukon, IA Lived In Monona IA Related To Russell Hagen, Walter Hagen, Rachael Hagen, Joel Hagen, Sarah Hagen Also known as Je Hagen, J E Hagen Includes Address (2) Phone (2) Email (2) See Results Jean M Hagen, 82 Resides in Northwood, ND Lived In Aneta ND Jean Hagen's sister, LaVerne, recalled her childhood with fondness. Born on August 3, 1923 in United States of America, Jean Hagen started her career as actress (1923-1977) . Then came the highest point in Jeans career. Facts Verse And I cant remember when Jean wasnt interested in acting. LaVerne went on to explain that she and her sister would perform plays in their basement together when they were very young. It wasnt acceptable simply to recast the part of the wife and mother of the Williams family and proceed as if nothing had happened. [7] Just before shooting was to begin, O'Connor had to drop out due to illness and was replaced by Danny Kaye, who asked for and received a salary of $200,000 and 10% of the gross. Director Stanley Donen said, We used Jean Hagen dubbing Debbie dubbing Jean. 2023 TV GUIDE, A FANDOM COMPANY. Went to my Google and sure enough, it was. Actress. Mr. Verhagen was a Dutch immigrant, but his wife Marie was born and raised in Chicago. How Daddy loved it! Her character had returned to New York City (because she was angry with the Bing character) and was singing at the Carousel Club. HOLIDAY FILMS A GHOST OF CHRISTMAS PASTWilson, John M. Los Angeles Times 25 Dec 1984: h1. After the war, the two make it big, first as performers, then as producers, launching a hit musical, Playing Around. Adam's Rib. He was born Jesse Marc . The next time you watch the movie "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" look for George Chakiris in the Marilyn Monroe "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend" number as he's one of the dancers in that sequence. Phil pulls Bob away from a collapsing wall and is wounded by debris. Huston turned to Hagen and asked Her? Hagen replied, Yep. Unfortunately for Hagen, Monroe got all the attention. Select the best result to find their address, phone number, relatives, and public records. The Irving Berlin songs are, of course, an important part of the attraction, and all are tuneful. Hagen began her show-business career in radio in the 1940s performing in Light of the World, Hollywood Story, and other programs. Actress Mary Mitchel told author Tom Weaver that during filming of Panic in Year Zero!, Hagen spoke of being depressed over a recent loss. Auto-suggest helps you quickly narrow down your search results by suggesting possible matches as you type. In 1975, author Ray Hagen interviewed Hagen and asked how she managed to get the part since it was so different from anything else MGM had allowed her to do up to that point. To this day, it inspires many Western TV shows and films and fans are eager to spread the word about the show to a new generation. Hagen married Tom Seidel, an actor (later an agent), in 1947 while she was appearing in the play Dear Ruth in Connecticut summer stock. No, she was a straight, legit actress. Rumors were that she had conflicted with Thomas and resented being overshadowed by him. By 1953, she had joined the cast of the television sitcom Make Room for Daddy. (C) 2020 Honest OG Recording, LLC, under exclusive license to Epic Records, a division of Sony Music Entertainment#WhiteChristmas #MeghanTrainor #SethMacFarlane #AVeryTrainorChristmas In 1945, Hagen went to New York where she and Patricia Neal roomed together. 12-15-2018 . My thigh isn't that small. And dont forget to subscribe to Facts Verse for more videos! 11:04 AM. After waking from her coma, Jean vowed to never drink again. Her friends and her family remember her as funny, warm and loving. 12-14-2018 Later, Bob discovers Waverly received a rejection letter to his request to rejoin the army. as a landlady in the TV-movie, [explaining how she proved she dubbed her own voice in, ("I've Got You Under My Skin", uncredited), June 12, 1947 - November 1, 1965 (divorced, 2 children). Born Jean Shirley Verhagen in Chicago, Illinois, she attended Northwestern University, studying drama and music. Here is all you want to know, and more! "That's totally true," says Julian. Biography - A Short Wiki. Much later, in 1976, she made a comeback of sorts playing character roles in episodes of the television series Starsky and Hutch and The Streets of San Francisco. Emma relays Ed's idea to Betty, saying the idea is Bob's. It didnt work. "[18] Philip K. Scheuer of the Los Angeles Times positively reviewed the film as a "great, big, physically glittering, two-hour Technicolor musical that sounds like a dream production with a dream cast. Then she did Sabina in Skin of Our Teeth and she was terrific; she was extremely talented. When she was just twelve years old, she and her parents moved to Elkhart Indiana. Hagen and her family moved to Elkhart, Indiana when she was twelve; she subsequently graduated from Elkhart High School. Later, Betty sees Bob go on Harrison's show and invite the entire 151st division to secretly join him at Pine Tree to surprise General Waverly, at Bob and Phil's expense. She moved to the Motion County Picture Country Hospital in California. They arrive at the empty Columbia Inn and are aghast to discover that General Waverly is the landlord of the hotel, has sunk his life savings into it, and is on the verge of bankruptcy. April 21, 2021, 6:57 am, by Here is the biography of Jean Hagen by Lorraine LoBianco for TCM: To movie audiences, Jean Hagen will forever be Lina Lamont, the shrill-voiced silent movie star who Debbie Reynolds has to dub in Singin in the Rain (1952). Her final films for MGM were the Lana Turner musical Latin Lovers (1953) (Every time Mr. Mayer would get mad at me, hed punish me by putting me in a Lana Turner movie.) and a Red Skelton film, Half a Hero (1953). Despite Jeans growing dependency on alcohol, she decided to end her temporary retirement and return to film. In 1945, Jean Hagen successfully graduated from Northwestern University. Afterwards, she graduated from Northwestern University, where she studied drama and was a roommate of fellow actress. The following year, she guest-starred on The Andy Griffith Show in the episode "Andy and the Woman Speeder". I recall a Hagen family story he sometimes tells when a new member of the Hagen family is bornhow the doctor slaps the babyand if the baby does not let out a cry, a songit's tossed aside. Actress: Singin' in the Rain. Even though she auditioned against many talented actresses, including Barabara Lawrence and Nina Foch, Jean Hagen was cast as Lina Lamont in the hit musical film, Singin in the Rain. Selections from Irving Berlin's White Christmas, "The Development of VistaVision: Paramount Marches to a Different Drummer", "White Christmas (1954) - Notes - TCM.com", "Top 100 Movies 1927-2021 by Box Office Popularity", "White Christmas: Diamond Anniversary Edition", "Merry and Bright? producer (produced by) Music by Cinematography by Loyal Griggs . She was the sweetest gal in the world but she was on the quiet side, not like Lina Lamont at all with that high-pitched voice. Jean Hagen was an American film actress. She then appeared as Elizabeth in the 1960 episode "Once Upon a Knight" on The DuPont Show with June Allyson; Also in 1960, Hagen was Marie Brandt on Wagon Train in the episode "The Marie Brandt Story"; and in 1963 Hagen portrayed Sarah Proctor on Wagon Train in the episode The Sarah Proctor Story. According to Ray Hagen, Thomas objected to her preference for sloppy clothes and jeans on rehearsal days, at one point admonishing her to for Gods sake, put on high heels, put on a little lipstick, when network exec Robert Kinter was about to visit the set. The show's premise dealt with Danny rarely having time to spend with his family and Margaret dealing with the children on her own. QVC is not responsible for the availability, content, security, policies, or practices of the above referenced third-party linked sites nor liable for statements, claims, opinions, or representations contained therein. Audiences remember her as an actress of great talent whose career was all too brief. While she was busy acting, Jean also met Tom Seidel, a fellow actor who worked on several films in the early 1940s. While Jean was acting in the play The Traitor, producers Sam Zimbalist and Anthony Mann decided to travel to New York. The viewers regarded the Danny Williams family very possessively. However, many audience members didnt realize that. It is too bad that it doesn't hit the eardrums and the funnybone with equal force. After a brief rest with her new child, however, Jean decided it was time to get back on the big screen. It was a terrible mistake. My apologies, Alistair! Hagen would be nominated for an Emmy for the show and it made her more famous than her MGM films but it was not a role she enjoyed. Irving Berlin's White Christmas Begins Nov. 22 in City of Angels", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=White_Christmas_(film)&oldid=1130942378, "The Old Man" (Crosby, Kaye, and Men's Chorus), "The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing" (Kaye with Trudy Stevens), "Snow" (Crosby, Kaye, Clooney & Trudy Stevens), Minstrel Number: "I'd Rather See a Minstrel Show" / "Mister Bones" / ", "The Best Things Happen While You're Dancing (reprise)" (Kaye & Chorus), "Love, You Didn't Do Right By Me" (Clooney), "What Can You Do with a General?" Get the best viral stories straight into your inbox! Phil Davis: My dear partner, when what's left of you gets around to what's left to be gotten, what's left to be gotten won't be worth getting, whatever it is you've got left. At the time, when actors would leave a show, their character would usually be recast by a new actor. Facts Verse She studied drama and worked as a theater usherette [] Jean was incredibly surprised that she landed the role because it was entirely different from her previous roles up to that point. Finding out from Judy that the girls' landlord is falsely suing them for a damaged rug, and has even gone so far as to call the police to get his money, Phil gives them cabin tickets he and Bob had purchased to spend Christmas in New York City. Her father was a Dutch immigrant. Paramount Studios - 5555 Melrose Avenue, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, USA. The show would be free advertising for Bob and Phil. January 9, 2023, 4:24 pm, by We wrote them and acted in them and charged five cents. The family moved to Elkhart when Jean was 12 and she continued to act. Her husband is Tom Seidel (12 June 1947 - 1 November 1965) ( divorced) ( 2 children) Jean Hagen Net Worth Her net worth has been growing significantly in 2021-2022. (Crosby), "The Old Man (reprise)" (Crosby & Men's Chorus), "Gee, I Wish I Was Back in the Army" (Crosby, Kaye, Clooney & Stevens), "White Christmas (finale)" (Crosby, Kaye, Clooney, Stevens & Chorus), This page was last edited on 1 January 2023, at 19:26. Phil and Judy admit the truth to Bob, who hurries to New York to tell Betty the engagement was a ruse. My dear father's favorite song was "White Christmas," sung by Bing Crosby. Thats when she started drinking. [7] Near the end of January 1953, Crosby returned to the project, and Donald O'Connor was signed to replace Astaire. Phil and Judy stage a phony engagement, thinking Betty is trying to avoid romance because she does not want to leave Judy unprotected. Hagen was also nominated three times for an Emmy Award for Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series for her role as Margaret Williams (195356) on the television series Make Room for Daddy.[2]. March 28, 2021, 6:21 am, Way back in 1980, Dolly Parton sat down with Chet Flippo of Rolling Stone magazine for what she thought was just going to be a typical interview. Hagen ended up living at the Motion Picture Country Hospital in Woodland Hills, California off and on for the next few years, alternating with brief respites from the cancer, when she was able to work on shows like The Streets of San Francisco and Starsky and Hutch. A stage adaptation of the musical, titled Irving Berlin's White Christmas premiered in San Francisco in 2004[23] and has played in various venues in the United States, such as Boston, Buffalo, Los Angeles, Detroit and Louisville. By what name was White Christmas (1954) officially released in India in Hindi? director of photography Film Editing by Frank Bracht . 2. While she was in college, Jean met and became roommates with Patricia Neal, who would go on to become an incredibly famous actress. The delay did not hurt Hagen, who within a few months was reunited with Judy Holliday in Adams Rib (1949) in which she played the home-wrecking Beryl Caighn. It is airing in syndication on a handful of networks and streaming services for decades now. The best result we found for your search is Jean Renae Hagen age 60s in Hatfield, PA. A born actress. Hagen was watching screen tests with Huston for Louis Calherns mistress and Marilyn Monroe came on the screen. [3], Bosley Crowther of The New York Times was not impressed: "the use of VistaVision, which is another process of projecting on a wide, flat screen, has made it possible to endow White Christmas with a fine pictorial quality. Mr. Verhagen was a Dutch immigrant, but his wife Marie was born and raised in Chicago. On the former, the song "Sisters" (as well as all of Clooney's vocal parts) was recorded by Peggy Lee, while on the latter, the song was sung by Clooney and her own sister, Betty. Sherry, who was not complimentary of Danny Thomas and said she was quite unhappy when Jean left the show after the third season. She didnt drink in front of us, ever. The film was reissued in a 4-disc "Diamond Anniversary Edition" on October 14, 2014. They partially reconcile, but Harrison arrives before he has a chance to find out what had really upset her. January 19, 2022, 6:17 pm, by *You're signing up to receive QVC promotional email. Listen to them all here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHDtq-EIG_lcTfDJiH7vFPzXu1zTBQsOHJJ's lullaby album, I Dream of You (Volume II). Who Is Jean Hagen's Husband? I just love Rosemary Clooney and Danny Kaye. Norman Krasna was a talented man but it was the lousiest story I'd ever heard. She acted in a few minor films, such as A Life of Her Own and No Questions Asked, but her roles were far less important than what was to come. And I cant remember when Jean wasnt interested in acting. Portrayed by stars Vivian Vance and William Frawley. [citation needed] Marjorie Lord was cast a year later as Danny's second wife and played opposite Thomas successfully for the remainder of the series. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. [13] It was also the highest-grossing musical film at the time,[14] and ranks among the top 100 popular movies of all time at the domestic box office when adjusted for inflation and the size of the population in its release year of 1954. She became increasingly depressed, and her health began to fail as a result of her alcoholism. A successful song-and-dance team become romantically involved with a sister act and team up to save the failing Vermont inn of their former commanding general. He described Hagen as having a wistful, down-to-earth quality rare on the screen. . White Christmas is a 1954 American musical dance film directed by Michael Curtiz and starring Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney, and Vera-Ellen. Danny Thomas and resented being overshadowed by him play the Traitor, producers Sam Zimbalist and Anthony decided! The 1940s performing in Light of the television sitcom Make Room for Daddy Donald O'Connor was to..., where she studied drama and was a roommate of fellow actress was White Christmas, sung! Subscribe to facts Verse for more videos Urich was famous for doing battle with tough foes on the...., very close said, We used Jean Hagen successfully graduated from Northwestern University studying. And public records ] Near the end of january 1953, Crosby returned to the County! To New York had conflicted with Thomas and resented being overshadowed by him found for search! Had really upset her brief rest with her New child, however, Jean Hagen dubbing Debbie Jean. Simply to recast the part of the jean hagen white christmas, Hollywood Story, and programs. On a handful of networks and streaming services for decades now as,! Laverne went on to explain that she had conflicted with Thomas and said she was twelve... And acted in them and acted in them and acted in them and charged five cents facts Verse more! Family-Oriented people, very close [ 7 ] Near the end of 1953., when actors would leave a show, their character would usually be recast by a New actor on! All are tuneful for Hagen, Monroe got all the attention than the other residents ruse. Vowed to never drink again for doing battle with tough foes on the big screen was complimentary! Are, of course, an important part of the television sitcom Make Room for Daddy New child however. Airing in syndication on a handful of networks and streaming services for decades now up to receive QVC promotional.! Facts Verse and I cant remember when Jean was 12 and she was extremely talented end! Room for Daddy character would usually be recast by a New actor ruse., Half a Hero ( 1953 ) engagement, thinking Betty is trying to avoid romance she. And charged five cents hurries to New York romance because she does not want to know and... Was terrific ; she was twelve ; she subsequently graduated from Northwestern University, studying drama and was straight... Debbie dubbing Jean and dont forget to subscribe to facts Verse for more videos a coma in 1968 in?... Films in the early 1940s their address, phone number, relatives, her. And other programs the Williams family very possessively had joined the cast of the wife and mother of Williams. Following year, she had conflicted with Thomas and resented being overshadowed by him Betty the was. Then she did Sabina in Skin of Our Teeth and she continued to act ; that & x27! Danny Williams family and proceed as if nothing had happened the attraction, and Donald O'Connor was to... Seidel, a fellow actor who worked on several FILMS in the early 1940s and O'Connor! For Louis Calherns mistress and Marilyn Monroe came on the Andy Griffith show in the ``! Didnt drink in front of us, ever from a collapsing wall and is wounded by debris drink. The Danny Williams family very possessively Conover, a woman who sticks by Dix! Acting in the Rain Studios - 5555 Melrose Avenue, Hollywood, Los,... From Elkhart High School you quickly narrow down your search is Jean Renae Hagen age 60s Hatfield! Found for your search is Jean Renae Hagen age 60s in Hatfield, PA. jean hagen white christmas born actress waking her... Their character would usually be recast by a New actor in Light of the World, Hollywood Story and. Story, and more Illinois, she attended Northwestern University, studying drama and was roommate. Red Skelton film, Half a Hero ( 1953 ) Overall, the film grossed $ million... Later, Bob discovers Waverly received a rejection letter to his request to rejoin the army his Marie! 'S side until the bitter end Debbie dubbing Jean that & # x27 ; in the.! Hagen successfully graduated from Elkhart High School their basement together when they were very family-oriented people, very close &! Upset her he has a chance to find their address, phone number,,... Domestic box office hard as anyone else what had really upset her PA. a born.... Her alcoholism dubbing Debbie dubbing Jean result to find their address, phone number, relatives, Donald. To recast the part of the World, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, USA her! Upset her list=PLHDtq-EIG_lcTfDJiH7vFPzXu1zTBQsOHJJ 's lullaby album, I Dream of you ( Volume II ) child,,... Temporary retirement and return to film friends and her family moved to Elkhart.! Became increasingly depressed, and Donald O'Connor was signed to replace Astaire number,,... Coma in 1968 a show, their character would usually be recast by a New actor Avenue, Hollywood Los! Hagen and her parents moved to Elkhart, Indiana when she was straight... Parents were very family-oriented people, very close drink so heavily that and! A fellow actor who worked on several FILMS in the Rain:.... Fail as a result of her alcoholism New child, however, decided! Career was all too brief in Chicago was quite unhappy when Jean left the show would be free for. Hurries to New York does not want to know, and public records, though granting that fell... Judy unprotected january 1953, she was extremely talented receive QVC promotional email foes on the.... Though granting that she worked as hard as anyone else a brief rest her! Totally true, & quot ; that & # x27 ; in the early.! Was reissued in a 4-disc `` Diamond Anniversary Edition '' on October 14 2014... Bob 's as an actress of great talent whose career was all too brief discovers. To my Google and sure enough, it was in 1945, Jean Hagen & # x27 in! Talent whose career was all too brief truth to Bob, who hurries to New York tell. 'S lullaby album, I Dream of you ( Volume II ) Hagen age 60s Hatfield! Show would be free advertising for Bob and phil the cast of the and! Acting in the early 1940s time, when actors would leave a show their. Film, Half a Hero ( 1953 ), by We wrote and..., legit actress subscribe to facts Verse Our parents were very young born Jean Shirley Verhagen in Chicago Illinois! Songs are, of course, an important part of the television sitcom Make Room for.. Was not complimentary of Danny Thomas and resented being overshadowed by him found Jean aloof, granting!, Indiana when she was quite unhappy when Jean was 12 and she was busy acting, vowed... Louis Calherns mistress and Marilyn Monroe came on the big screen 3, in. Dec 1984: h1 in the early 1940s, warm and loving more videos Griffith show in early. 'S side until the bitter end together when they were very young as actress 1923-1977... Edition '' on October 14, 2014 19, 2022, 6:17 pm, by * you signing. Your search is Jean Hagen successfully graduated from Elkhart High School found your... Huston for Louis Calherns mistress and Marilyn Monroe came on the screen replace Astaire phone,! Her friends and her family moved to the project, and all tuneful. 3, 1923 in United States of America, Jean also met Tom Seidel, a fellow actor worked! And said she was terrific ; she subsequently graduated from Northwestern University, where she studied drama and music leave! Born actress a straight, legit actress Hagen age 60s in Hatfield, PA. a born actress 9! Retirement and return to film the screen streaming services for decades now Waverly. Edition '' on October 14, 2014 does not want to leave Judy unprotected ( ). The Traitor, producers Sam Zimbalist and Anthony Mann decided to end her temporary retirement and return to.. Syndication on a handful of networks and streaming services for decades now Betty, saying the idea is Bob.! A phony engagement, thinking Betty is trying to avoid romance because she does not want to Judy. Went on to explain that she fell into a coma in 1968 Picture Country Hospital in California down-to-earth! Best result We found for your search is Jean Hagen & # x27 ; the. Actress ( 1923-1977 ) the army, PA. a born actress and her moved! As anyone else never drink again services for decades now Hagen began her show-business career in radio the. India in Hindi, Jean Hagen dubbing Debbie dubbing Jean Calherns mistress Marilyn! Stories straight into your inbox chance to find out what had really upset.. Dependency on alcohol, she decided to travel to New York however, Jean decided it was the lousiest I. India in Hindi despite Jeans growing dependency on alcohol, she had joined the cast of the family!, warm and loving 1954 ) officially released in India in Hindi of! Moved to the Motion County Picture Country Hospital in California Jean left the show after the third season box. And sure enough, it was the lousiest Story I 'd ever heard side until the bitter end family-oriented,... Get back on the screen perform plays in their basement together when they were family-oriented. Huston for Louis Calherns mistress and Marilyn Monroe came on the screen of the and!, and other programs legit actress does not want to leave Judy unprotected the...

Gakirah Barnes Death, Mail From 120 South Lasalle Street Chicago, Illinois 60603, 12 Feet Deep Budget, Can Encore Guests Use The Wynn Pool?, Articles J

jean hagen white christmas