sharp top mountain shuttle

Last fall, I hiked Sharp Top Mountain in Bedford, Virginia. It will be worth it for the spectacular 360-degree views of the Peaks of Otter area, The Piedmont to the East, and the Shenandoah Valley with the Allegheny Valley Mountains to the west.. Turn left to continue to the summit of Sharp Top. Peaks of Otter has some of the most popular hiking trails in Virginia! Great views and some fun climbing. For a short paved walk, look next door to Peaks of Otter Lodge. I know they are not on the Appalachian. The best times to visit this trail are March through November. I have a friend from Charlottesville who isnt a hiking enthusiast who came back from a weekend at Peaks of Otter and raved about the view and claimed that there is also a plane crash site somewhere in the area that she hiked to. more. more. But, you can also consider the bus ride to the top. (another mountain, also named Sharp Top, is #42), For those that dont feelthe need to hike all the way to the summit, you can take a bus ride that brings you closer to the summit. read more, Just before you get to the Peaks of Otter Lodge on the left. --Mark Twain. The trail would get more crowded shortly, so I thought it best to start with Sharp Top. Note that the shuttle schedule changes with the season, so its wise to double-check the schedule for the Sharp Top Mountain Shuttle as you firm up your plans. When you arrive at the parking area for Sharp Top, youll quickly note that its really not very big. This woodland trail climbs to a ridge where distant views are rewarding. Still, I was eager to hike all three Peaks of Otter in the same weekend, including Flat Top and Harkening Hill. Anytime I climb places with uneven footing and precipitous, open drops I get an awful spinning sensation. Its covered in the post. This is also where you can purchase tickets for the Sharp Top Shuttlea bus to the top of Sharp Top Mountain. From the Blue Ridge Parkway-based trailhead (across from the Peaks of Otter Visitor Center at MP86), start a moderate climb along the mountains base. The shuttle runs from 8:30 am to 5 pm and departs from the Peaks of Otter Lodge, on the northeast side of Abbott Lake, within Peaks of Otter Recreation Area. Yes, wellsort of. But needless to say youll never find me doing any serious rock climbing! Moderate 4.4 (6) Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forest. (1), Images The view from the top on a clear day you can see mountains in all directions. As we hiked up the trail, we passed several downhill hikers on their way back from watching sunrise atop the summit. Practice Leave No Trace when visiting. Typically, we pack a picnic but this time we decided to try the restaurant at the Peaks of Otter Lodge. Steps ascend from parking lot and nature center. For a sit-down meal, look next door to the Peaks of Otter Lodge. According to official elevations, this Sharp Top doesnt even make the top 50 list. The main draw is Sharp Top Mountain. You can usually spot the bus crowd easily theyre never sweaty and are often wearing dressier clothing and insensible shoes. Amazingly, Hawksbill, the highest peak in Shenandoah National Park, cant make the list either. I was very proud of them! Are pack animals (pack goats) allowed on this trail? By now, many more people were ascending the trail. Be sure to enjoy the plants and animals that live along this trail and dont be surprised to run into many of them on your trip. Consider bringing your walking stick (the trail is very rocky in spots). STP010 . The Sharp Top Trail begins at the back of the parking area. Its not rugged and jagged, with outcroppings to sit on for scenic views. 199 Hemphill Knob Rd Sharp Top Shuttle Schedule Shuttle departs from the Peaks of Otter Lodge lobby at 8:30am, 10am, 12pm, 1:30pm, and 3pm. These cookies track visitors across websites and collect information to provide customized ads. A decision to make, too. The shuttle runs from 8:30 am to 5 pm and departs from the Peaks of Otter Lodge, on the northeast side of Abbott Lake, within Peaks of Otter Recreation Area. This is an extremely popular hike for families and larger groups, but it definitely has some steep sections. All vehicles accessing Mt Seymour between Oct 1 - Mar 31 must be equipped with winter tires in good condition, showing either the peaked mountain/snowflake symbol or M+S. It is clear of trees giving hikers a rewarding 360 view of the surrounding Blue Ridge. As expected, the views are spectacular and it was such a sense of accomplishment to complete. It was closed for lunch break so we hiked the Elk Run Trail. The hotel exceeded our expectations of a rustic mountain lodge. These are located at the Blue Ridge Music Center, Peaks of Otter, Julian Price Park Picnic Area, Price Lake and the Asheville Visitor Center. For a schedule, visit the Lodges Sharp Top Bus Tour web page. They really were pretty cool. This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. At 1.2 miles, you reach a junction. If you are on blue ridge parkway take the time to appreciate this area and hike its fun trails! Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors. Relax on the outdoor patio after your visit to Sharp Top. Functional cookies help to perform certain functionalities like sharing the content of the website on social media platforms, collect feedbacks, and other third-party features. Asheville I managed it with breaks every few hundred feet. That gives you an hour before the next bus arrives, which is why I decided not to take it. Our favorite so far is Humpback Rocks and we are looking for some other hiking/ scrabble/ climbing ones. We hiked the peaks of otter and loved every moment of it. It's defined as the vertical distance between a peak and the lowest contour line surrounding that peak and no higher peak. It is manned by one Ranger. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. Look southeast to the farm-dotted community of Bedford and west to the Shenandoah Valley. The inscription reads: From Otters summit, Virginias loftiest peak, to crown a monument to Virginias noblest son.. I discovered you blog just a few days ago. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. From the summit, I found the unmarked trail down towards the site where a B-25D bomber crashed into Sharp Top on February 2, 1943. The crew of 5, all young men on a nighttime low-level navigation training exercise, perished in the crash. You will see a day-use only cabin at the summit and stairs to different platforms to soak in the views. We have a 4and 6 year old girls. The shuttle runs every hour (maybe every half hour on a busy day) and it takes about fifteen minutes to reach the top. The rock formations on this mountain are impressive! A right turn leads to the shuttle bus shelter. This trail drops 260 feet below the Fallingwater Trail Parking Area and hikers should be prepared to climb that elevation on their return. (36), Climber's Log Entries If you don't want to hike the steep trail (with multiple stairs . While I personally dont think it is that difficult, I can understand some people feeling that way. He was so friendly and personable! If your kids are fit and active, they may be able to do the entire hike. I was not deterred, however. A few years ago, when we hiked up it was colder than expected there, so I ended up buying Christine one of those sweatshirts to proudly wear. I was so glad to have my trekking poles on the steep, uneven ground. Sharp Top Trail (1.5 miles to the summit) This is the most popular trail at the Peaks and originates at the Nature Center across the Parkway from the Visitor Center. Other than that, we had the trail mostly to ourselves. It apparently used to be a concession stand. For some reason, this is always the only part of the Sharp Top trail I remember. The Sharp Top Trail is located on the south side, while the visitor center is on the north side. Cant wait To hike it . There is a plaque there that mentions that Sharp Top was once believed to be the tallest mountain in Virginia and that a stone from this mountain was used to build the Washington Monument. Sharp Top Mountain, named for its pointy summit, looms over historic Peaks of Otter Lodge and Abbott Lake. Get full access to Outside Learn, our online education hub featuring in-depth fitness, nutrition, and adventure courses and more than 2,000 instructional videos when you sign up for Outside+ Trail is ADA Accessible.This is also a kid-friendly TRACK trail. It's not a long hike, about 30 minutes or so but it is very steep. One way trip rates are also offered so you can get some exercise and take the return trip on foot just $12 for adults and $6 for kids. Thankfully, the weather was on board with my plan. It has almost every kind of terrain and some parts are easy and some parts of very difficult. Map and location information for Sharp Top Mountain in Virginia: Sharp Top Mountain is one of the Summits in Bedford County, VA and can be found on the Peaks of Otter USGS topographic quad map. These Photos Prove It. The name may come from the Cherokee Indian word, ottari, which means high places. The Peaks may have been named after the Otter River, which has its headwaters in the area. Once up on top, the views were amazing! Starting in the 1800s, the surrounding community opened their homes and lodges to guests hoping to relax and rejuvenate in the mountains. Check out this 1.1-mile out-and-back trail near Blairsville, Georgia. The lot was nearly full, but I soon realized that it was filled with those reveling in a Sharp Top sunrise hike. Sometimes it sure seems like it. The Sharp Top Store is typically open from May through the end of October from 9 AM to 5 PM. The Falling Water Cascades Trail is a 1.4-mile loop hike that leads to a series of cascades on Fallingwater Creek. Backpacking Has Changed a Lot Over the Past 50 Years. Plus, Peaks offers a complimentary shuttle that will take you around the local loop, including stops at six different trailheads. For some reason, this was the first time Ive taken the option. It is indeed a popular place! Its nice that most everyone can enjoy the summit views. Tuesday-Sunday: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM Last run up the mountain = 3:00 PM Last pick-up at top of mountain = 4:30 PM Closed on Monday Round Trip Rates $15.00 Adults $7.00 Children (ages 2-12) One Way Trip Rates Sharp Top Mountain Climber's Log on SummitPost.org : Climbing, hiking, mountaineering. Its an easy .9-mile walk around Abbott Lake. Each room has a beautiful lake view. I think its great that a bus ride is available for people who arent physically able to hike up, but I see lots of young families that I wish would give hiking a chance. So many upwards hikers commented on them! As you climb the southern slope of the mountain, sweeping views of the Blue Ridge fill the horizon. Ask edsel13304 about Peaks of Otter Visitor Center, Ask jwkrengel about Peaks of Otter Visitor Center, Wow, the scenery and views are incredible, Ask nukefixer about Peaks of Otter Visitor Center, Ask yoontaylor about Peaks of Otter Visitor Center, Ask tlr17 about Peaks of Otter Visitor Center, Ask rakotraba about Peaks of Otter Visitor Center. Join Outside+ to get access to exclusive content, 1,000s of training plans, and more. Generally considered a moderately challenging route, it takes an average of 2 h 15 min to complete. Thanks for the visit! Be aware that weather and road surface conditions change quickly. It is a steep trail, and it took about 1.5hrs to get to the top. 28803, Download the official NPS app before your next visit. The Visitor Center was closed when we were there but we really came for the hike anyway. Required fields are marked *. It was a delicious meal and a relaxing time. Sharp Top is located at milepost 85.6 on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Sharp Top Store on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Yes, Sharp Top is strenuous, but well worth it. Drinking water and restrooms are available seasonally at the Sharp Top Store near the trailhead. The trailhead is beside the camp store. I was surprised so many people had never seen trekking poles before, but I suppose Sharp Top has a very high percentage of people who arent regular hikers. Harkening Hill Trail Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Virginia. Check out my favorite hikes near Roanoke, Virginia. We are glad we stopped in and very much enjoyed our visit. Keep in mind that you still have a rugged quarter-mile hike from the bus stop to the peak, and don't bother if it is overcast because you won't see a thing at the top. Then, keep your eyes open for a change of scenery.

In Home Pet Euthanasia Northern Ky, Crowne Plaza Newcastle Breakfast Menu, Articles S

sharp top mountain shuttle