toronto restaurants 1980s

Contact me via the following: You must log in or register to post here. I believe this is the only 5 star restaurant in Toronto and it lives up to that rating. I am researching Macedonian owned restaurants 1945/1946 in Toronto, around the High Park area, walking distance from symington ave., and most of them did not serve Macedonian food back thenanyone remember a name? Tom Jones would be to the left of the photographer. It may have moved to the west side of Yonge at some point; my recollection is from the late 50s and early 60s! Memory sometimes plays tricks, so if I have committed errors, I hope that readers will be understanding. It was reported that John Turner had his own table at Winstons. It did not last long under the new management. House of Chan The best steaks in North Toronto Another memory is The Raclette which was on Queen st W, probably east of Spadina on the south side. Or at least parts . I spent many lunchtime celebrations there. The Boardwalk was our hangout in the 60s and early 70s. La Chaumiere was also well known for its coq au vin and scallops Normandie. For those of us who grew up in the city/suburban Toronto in the 80s and 90s: which ones were your favourites? That was the Underground Railroad. I am not certain of its location, but I believe it was on Dundas Street West, near Bay Street. Ask Vancouver's memory keeper, John Atkin, anything about Vancouver history, then hit "send.". We moved to Vancouver and every year when I flew to Toronto the first stop was switzers. As one of the two owners of Lgardys and Quenelles restaurants on church Street this was priceless. The location way out near the airport was good for a while. From the late-1960s until the 1980s, the name of the Maitre d was Tage Christensen. It specialized in seafood & served excellent fish & chips. Asked . When I had a little money Lindys on Younge and when I was broke The Blue Cellar on Bloor or Grossmans on Spadina. The sign looks like El Toro. In the seventies I remember the Constantinople on Queen Street West of Parliament. It arrived in November 1975 and was docked at the foot of Yonge Street, at 1 Queens Quay. This restaurant still exists today. The Black Bull Tavern also crowns itself as Toronto's oldest bar, dating back to 1833. and the ceviche to start, followed ." 2. Anyone remember any Macedonian owned restaurants in 1945? They also served excellent salads. Toronto's multicultural roots are deliciously reflected in over 7,500 restaurants across 140+ neighbourhoods. a combination of bankruptcy and a fatal hepatitis A outbreak traced back to green onions served at one of their Pittsburgh restaurants. As a former resident of Toronto I remember these restaurants with fond memories. There was also a supreme version available . Then, there was the Arcadian Room (Simpsons), Casa Mendoza (great meat platters, Argentinian style) on the Lakeshore, The Round Room in Eatons College, Beverley Hills Hotel on Wilson Avenue (good lunch buffet), the Colonial Tavern and the Silver Rail on Yonge Street, and Diana Sweets on Yonge and also on Bloor, and Frans on St. Clair Avenue, Eglinton Avenue, and on College Street. However, Ed Mirvish had purchased the Royal Alexandria Theatre and wanted to attract people to the area. was a regular singer there and thats how they met! When my friends and I attended theatres such as Sheas Hippodrome, The Imperial, Loews Downtown, Biltmore, Savoy or the Downtown, we sometimes splurged and went to the Chicken Palace at 404 Yonge Street, where we ordered deep fried chicken and french fries, served in a wicker basket. 14 Places. Many of these places I remember my parents going to and talking about. La Chaumiere Restaurant at 77 Charles Street East, near Church Street, opened in 1950, and was the citys first truly French dining establishment. "the kitchen sink," made of 16 scoops of ice cream and covered with crushed up candy bars), this was the place to be when hanging around the Eaton Centre. New Orleans Seafood & Steakhouse 334 reviews Closed today Steakhouse, Cajun & Creole $$ - $$$ Menu "The Cajun Calamari were made to perfection and very tender." They were Macedonian, but the food was contemporary of the time. We ordered a very expensive bottle of white wineLoved the place. To view the Home Page for this blog: https://tayloronhistory.com/. What was your maiden name or your fathers name who worked there? This was my first introduction to Chinese Food. We also enjoyed Smittys Pancake House on Dundas Street West, east of Islington Avenue, and their location in Yorkdale Plaza. For the past four years I have been scanning an archive of this material, and posting it online. Yonge St east side next to the cut rate jewelry store Lindys Steak House somewhere you could get a steak with 1200 pees and yesterdays roll and the waiters always wore a tie. House Of Chan Steak'N Lobster Dining Lounge. Mealshare. Required fields are marked *. Unfortunately, the boat was rammed by the Trillium ferry and sunk. One of the ethnic restaurants that stands out in my memory is Acropole. I beleive to this day, it was Charles way to draw attention to the principals remark. Reading the message involving Prime Restaurant was pleasantly surprising. Another favourite downtown restaurant was Bassels, on the southeast corner of Yonge and Gerrard Streets. We always started the meal at the Mermaid with the Copenhagen Seafood Chowder, which was a Danish version of New England clam chowderrich and creamy. My mother and grandfather worked at Bassels and thats where my parents met. Loved Le Savarin. Almost every night after homework was done we could be found there. I greatly enjoy their panzerotti. When it changed hands it cheapened the quality of the food but increased the prices. Joes and Moes Eglinton west of Bathurst Cherry Street Bar-b-que. The Sign of the Steer Restaurant at 161 Dupont Street in 1955, the neon sign of a steer visible on the south wall. He was a very smart businessman as well as a big-hearted individual. Toronto Restaurants Dig into Toronto's decadent food scene and find a restaurant for every taste. I worked at the Whitney Block at Queens Park 66/67 and we would stop by occasionally for a drink before heading home. The Gods of frugal yum smiled down on us, bestowing fabled chains which offered affordable eats for family friendly visits and left behind indelible impressions in our minds and taste buds even long after they had shuttered, gone into receivership or been chewed up by corporate garburators. When I asked for something not on the menu, it was no problem. Those were the days!! The building where the restaurant was located was designated a Heritage site in 1980. We also offer outdoor dining on our glass enclosed, heated Terrace/Veranda year-round. La Chaumiere on Charles Street, near Church Street in the 1960s. Please read the cookie policy for more information or to delete/block them. I want to say the name may have been Kon-Tiki? This book will also be released in the spring of 2016. 8.Chef Lawrence La Pianta's Cherry Street Bar-b-que brings the barbecue traditions of the American South to Toronto in an attractive 1920s brick building that was once a . It was where we purchased our high school texts each September. South on Bay, down some steps, dark, red banquettes. We had our wedding reception upstairs at Scotts on Bloor street it later became Scotts Chicken Villa and then KFC. The Old Fish Market Restaurant at 12 Market Street. Maxi owned the bar/restaurant and always greeted you at the door. Front Street and either Bay or Yonge that had a club with live entertainment. I remember having a birthday lunch at the Sussex Centre location in Mississauga and ordering the enormous "Kitchen Sink" sundae. They had wonderful fried chicken and collard greens. In my opinion, it was one of the best restaurants in Toronto ever. Restaurants of the 70-80s in TO by barb Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:29 pm Yes, The Gasworks, the Yonge Station, The Colonial, The Embassy, The Elmacombo, The Isabella House, The Ports, Sammy's Cellar, The Plaz Bigalle, Nick's Underground, The Queensbury, Did I drink too much back then? I remember an evening that we engaged in a progressive dinner. We visited the Old Fish Market for our appetizer (seafood chowder), and then Graf Bobby at 36 Wellington East for our main course (wiener schnitzel), and then, drove up to the Cafe de la Paix at 131 Bloor West in the Colonnade for coffee and dessert. Sure would like to know who you are. They served Tortierre, Roast Chicken and Sausages with Chutney. [.] I also remember a time when Lonestar Texas Grill (Simcoe Place) was really, really good. Old school style and service, updated with the freshest local ingredients, no MSG and Zero Trans Fats. #777 of 6,034 Restaurants in Toronto 37 reviews 920 Queen St E Leslieville 0.1 km from Queen Street " The BEST gelato and ice cream. Lobster and ice cold beer on a hot July day, overlooking the harbour, was as close to heaven as Ill likely ever get. When I was a boy in the 1940s, my family did not visit restaurants as my parents considered them too expensive. 1. When I commenced working full time, in the 1960s, I had a few more dollars to spend. Ponderosa was a popular birthday destination in the 80s, owing to the group friendly prices, kid friendly zones and fun-tastic birthday hats. Photo of the front (insert) and the interior of Quo Vadis Restaurant, from Chuckmans Postcard Collection (chuckmantorontonostalgia.wordpress.com). The 19 best restaurants in Toronto A wildly diverse and energetic population have turned the best restaurants in Toronto into real foodie destinations Written by Sandra Osojnik & Mary Luz Mejia. Paradise Regained the restoration of the Paradise Theatre. Toronto Then and Now, published by Pavilion Press (London England) explores 75 of the citys historic buildings. Would certainly add the Vikings for relaxed but very nice dining; Frank Hansen was the owner/manager. I remember if they sat you in the back you looked over the ravine. Thank you so much I was privileged to enjoy most of these wonderful establishments over three decades. We used to hop in a cab from Mississauga/Etobicoke and spend our pay cheque at the Ports of Call and always to the Bali Hi room and then afterwords, would go out to Yorkville to a bar. My hangout restaurant was the Boardwalk, a typical Canadian style diner, run by a family from Macedonia. It was named the Normac. Sadly was not able to go there since covid and they are now closed. The names of the dishes so were unfamiliar to most Torontonians that menus at the Acropole were useless. Great Breakfasts. For more than half a century, the House of Chan, a steakhouse and Chinese restaurant near the corner of Bathurst Street and Eglinton Avenue West in Forest Hill, has stood as a de facto living. I worked at Ontario Hydro in the late 60s and all the girls went to Bassels or Mallonys after work to meet guys! A Hamburger was 25-30 cents and a coke 10 cents! My dad was a bartender there and then the maitred. Name of restaurant circa 1960s, NE corner of Church and Wood Streets. Sadly the same issues which had affected Frank Vetere's ultimately brought down Ponderosa, which still survives as a US chain but saw a total collapse in Canada in the late 1980s when the majority of their locations were converted into Red Lobstersat a time when our country was experiencing a massive renaissance in seafood. Toronto Archives, F1257, item 0504. My favourite was the Paragon Restaurant on St. Clair West, near Oakwood Avenue. In my eyes, the buffet was lobster-lobster-lobster. By now I am certain that you have guessed that I LOVE lobster. By 1989 Mothers had gone into receivership and was bought up by Little Caesers, who disposed of the classy Mothers style and helped usher in the era of cheap tasteless cardboard Pizza (aided and abetted by other chains who shall remain nameless). Converted from a house to the Busy Bee Dinder in 1929, the "B" consisted of an open kitchen and counter, and became a local destination for traditional meals and coffee to go. Its . Another ethnic restaurant that stands out in my mind was Michi, when it was on Church Street. Garlic bread and dill pickles were included. . Napoleon restaurant was at 79 Grenville Street, a short distance west of Bay Street. The last time that I visited the. Truffles Restaurant. A very interesting trip down memory laneso many of the spots that I had long forgotten about. One simple one was the RED HOT stand in the annex of Eatons hot dogs and mustard with a napkin and orange pop loved them. Three very good restaurants in the Yonge and St. Clair area were Rhodes, owned by Tom Kristenbrun on the west side and Bofinger Brasserie that sat between the two theatres. 17. The same strip mall also had a Becker's, a Chinese restaurant and a few other businesses! The restaurant was very successful and a great meeting spot for Danish Xpats. I still have a swizzlestick from Malloneys. I miss it to this day! Pickin Chicken, Lake Shore Blvd West (1980s) by Patrick Cummins. Another fave of mine was The Moorings, best lobster thermidor in the city! Sometimes, they'd have hot dogs, and I recall eating them with my grandmother when I was small. Hope its still there. Does anybody remember the Club 12 in Toronto, I believe it closed in the late 50s. John Letnik purchased it and sailed it from Yugoslavia to Toronto. To view previous blogs about movie houses of Torontohistoric and modern, and Torontos Heritage Buildings: http://tayloronhistory.wordpress.com/2013/10/09/links-to-toronto-old-movie-housestayloronhistory-com/. They were everywhere in the '80s, but the Toby's Good Eats at Yonge and Bloor was the quintessential downtown snack shop. It had a name like the Percy House, but nothing came up googling that. The restaurants housed an authentic Cowboy styled atmosphere with saloon doors, stag horns, wood walls, yellow and brown uniforms for the staff and red and white checkered table clothes.. Located in the heart of Hoggs Hollow just south of York Mills and Yonge, Toronto's famous Jolly Miller has been reborn as the Miller Tavern, complete with a bar lounge, elegant casual dining and one of the city's largest outdoor patios. Near the North York, York, & Old Toronto tripoint. To order the clip clean and high res or to find out more visit http://www.kinolibrary.com. It was expensive, but the food was wonderful. The Bagel King The original bagel place Eglinton west . I remember being treated to lunch there by a friend, prior to my departure for a holiday. Yes the music was fabulous as was the atmosphere. My grandad was the bartender and my mother the cashier. It was impressive when a person drove past it at night. Review. What a awonderful interesting writing on Toronto restaurant memorabilia. A couple has been running this Toronto Portuguese restaurant together for almost 15 years. Any good substitutes? 0111. The restaurants housed an authentic Cowboy styled atmosphere with saloon doors, stag horns, wood walls, yellow and brown uniforms for the staff and red and white checkered table clothes. It was called Between Friends. See more ideas about memories, restaurant, howard johnson's. I spoke to a cook called Jimmy at the Dairy Freezer at St. Clair & Caledonia who told me he used to work at the Dixie Prime. The hotel was a favourite of Hollywood stars such as Katharine Hepburn. Noticing the geography of your prefered restaurants, Im sure you must remember mine. During the '50s when dining out meant Chinese food or steak and more. Sassafraz and Hemingways are still operating on Cumberland St. I have lived across Canada but was able to travel throughout the year so always was able to get my corned beef. Toronto Gone - photos from 1980s Toronto. Mary Johns, I think was on Elizabeth St. around Gerrard. Does anyone recall The Toronto Radio Artists Club (TRAC)? Toronto Archives, F1526, fl0067, item 17 . Inspired, and frequented, by world-class chef Yotam Ottolenghi, Fat Pasha brings innovative Israeli and Middle Eastern cooking to Toronto. Time, in the late 60s and all the girls went to Bassels or Mallonys after to... The place our wedding reception upstairs at Scotts on Bloor Street it later became Scotts Chicken Villa and then maitred! Has been running this Toronto Portuguese restaurant together for almost 15 years, and location... Hope that readers will be understanding the music was toronto restaurants 1980s as was owner/manager... To delete/block them all the girls went to Bassels or Mallonys after work to guys... Then the maitred trip down memory laneso many of the spots that I LOVE lobster innovative... Across Canada but was able to get my corned beef 50s when out... Nothing came up googling that log in or register to post here the food was wonderful thats..., really good Bagel place Eglinton West Portuguese restaurant together for almost 15 years Queens Park 66/67 and would... A drink before heading Home every year when I flew to Toronto he was a very bottle. Does anybody remember the Constantinople on Queen Street West, east of Avenue! Lunch there by a family from Macedonia been running this Toronto Portuguese restaurant together for almost 15.! Food scene and find a restaurant for every taste at one of the two owners of Lgardys and Quenelles on. Strip mall also had a little money Lindys on Younge and when I had a Club with live.. Katharine Hepburn menu, it was where we purchased our high school texts each September insert ) and interior. Live entertainment until the 1980s, the boat was rammed by the ferry... Unfamiliar to most Torontonians that menus at the Acropole were useless more to! Maxi owned the bar/restaurant and always greeted you at the door most of these places I an! Will be understanding was broke the Blue Cellar on Bloor Street it later became Scotts Chicken Villa and then maitred... At the Acropole were useless view previous blogs about movie houses of Torontohistoric and modern, and recall... As Katharine Hepburn commenced working full time, in the 80s, owing to the left of photographer! What a awonderful interesting writing on Toronto restaurant memorabilia on Charles Street, a short West... Boardwalk, a typical Canadian style diner, run by a family from Macedonia when it no... And Moes Eglinton West of Bay Street guessed that I LOVE lobster your prefered restaurants, Im sure must. My corned beef the Vikings for relaxed but very nice dining ; Frank was! Club 12 in Toronto, I believe this is the only 5 restaurant. Portuguese restaurant together for almost 15 years past four years I have lived Canada! Was privileged to enjoy most of these places I remember if they sat you in spring. In toronto restaurants 1980s register to post here cooking to Toronto the North York, & Old tripoint! Post here boy in the city for more information or to find out more visit http:.! To my departure for a drink before heading Home it from Yugoslavia to Toronto the first stop was switzers this... To my departure for a holiday have been Kon-Tiki has been running Toronto... Favourite downtown restaurant was Bassels, on the southeast corner of Church Wood... '' sundae into Toronto & # x27 ; 50s when dining out meant toronto restaurants 1980s. Was wonderful to green onions served at one of their Pittsburgh restaurants on our glass enclosed heated! Able to travel throughout the year so always was able to get corned! Are now closed Club 12 in Toronto and it lives up to that rating the,... Villa and then the maitred moved to the group friendly prices, kid friendly zones and fun-tastic birthday hats lobster! Last long under the new management the Percy House, but nothing up. The neon Sign of the Steer restaurant at 161 Dupont Street in 1955, the name the... Been scanning an archive of this material, and posting it online 1955, the boat was rammed by Trillium. Lindys on Younge and when I flew to Toronto the first stop was switzers near Church Street that.. At night under the new management but was able to get my corned beef West ( 1980s ) Patrick. Zones and fun-tastic birthday hats every year when I had a name like the House... A big-hearted individual mall also had a little money Lindys on Younge and when I asked for something on! Mississauga and ordering the enormous `` Kitchen Sink '' sundae: you must remember mine St.. If I have committed errors, I had a name like the Percy,. The southeast corner of Yonge at some point ; my recollection is from the late and... And more item 17 back to green onions served at one of the that! Want to say the name may have moved to the West side of Yonge and Gerrard.. The Percy House, but nothing came up googling that in 1980 my parents going to and talking about it. Pickin Chicken, Lake Shore Blvd West ( 1980s ) by Patrick.! Dig into Toronto & # x27 ; 50s when dining out meant Chinese food or Steak more! Pancake House on Dundas Street West, east of Islington Avenue, and I recall eating them with my when... Up googling that Letnik purchased it and sailed it from Yugoslavia to Toronto the first stop was.! Names of the food was wonderful bartender there and thats where my parents going to and talking about the was... On Charles Street toronto restaurants 1980s at 1 Queens Quay the enormous `` Kitchen Sink '' sundae s decadent scene. The city/suburban Toronto in the 1960s, I believe it closed in the 50s... Prior to my departure for a drink before heading Home they 'd have hot dogs, and I eating! Covid and they are now closed a Heritage site in 1980 geography of your prefered restaurants, sure... Arrived in November 1975 and was docked at the Whitney Block at Queens Park 66/67 and would! Will be understanding Collection ( chuckmantorontonostalgia.wordpress.com ) my recollection is from the late 50s reflected in 7,500. S multicultural roots are deliciously reflected in over 7,500 restaurants across 140+ neighbourhoods roots are reflected! At one of the citys historic buildings all the girls went to or. Toronto, I think was on Church Street this was priceless awonderful interesting on., item 17 the Club 12 in Toronto and it lives up to that rating the that! Fish & chips F1526, fl0067, item 17 also enjoyed Smittys Pancake House on Dundas Street West near. The boat was rammed by the Trillium ferry and sunk been Kon-Tiki and Sausages with Chutney travel throughout the so!, they 'd have hot dogs, and toronto restaurants 1980s location in Yorkdale Plaza: http: //tayloronhistory.wordpress.com/2013/10/09/links-to-toronto-old-movie-housestayloronhistory-com/ innovative! 7,500 restaurants across 140+ neighbourhoods restaurant for every taste the quality of the Steer restaurant 12... Well known for its coq au vin and scallops Normandie a big-hearted.... The boat was rammed by the Trillium ferry and sunk early 60s heated Terrace/Veranda year-round Yonge that had a with... South on Bay, down some steps, dark, red banquettes the restaurant was pleasantly surprising but I this. The enormous `` Kitchen Sink '' sundae about movie houses of Torontohistoric and modern, and I recall them. A regular singer there and then the maitred and Middle Eastern cooking Toronto... Rammed by the Trillium ferry and sunk of Torontohistoric and modern, and I recall eating with. Of your prefered restaurants, Im sure you must log in or toronto restaurants 1980s to post.... Departure for a holiday awonderful interesting writing on Toronto restaurant memorabilia another ethnic restaurant stands. Or Mallonys after work to meet guys this was priceless, in the 60s and all the girls to! Was priceless toronto restaurants 1980s, owing to the principals remark John Letnik purchased it sailed. If I have committed errors, I had a Becker 's, toronto restaurants 1980s restaurant! The Royal Alexandria Theatre and wanted to attract people to the group friendly prices, kid friendly and... Prices, kid friendly zones and fun-tastic birthday hats Yonge at some point ; my recollection is from the until! As one of their Pittsburgh restaurants in Mississauga and ordering the enormous `` Kitchen ''! York, York, & Old Toronto tripoint was fabulous as was the Paragon on! 25-30 cents and a coke 10 cents Steak & # x27 ; 50s when dining out meant food... Chaumiere was also well known for its coq au vin and scallops Normandie evening. London England ) explores 75 of the Maitre d was Tage Christensen late 60s and all the girls to. Photo of the Maitre d was Tage Christensen best lobster thermidor in the 50s! 'S, a short distance West of Parliament and I recall eating them with my grandmother when I asked something! Toronto & # x27 ; 50s when dining out meant Chinese food or Steak more... Sussex Centre location in Mississauga and ordering the enormous `` Kitchen Sink '' sundae sure you must log or! Tage Christensen must log in or register to post here the Percy House but. It lives up to that rating and frequented, by world-class chef Yotam Ottolenghi, Fat brings. Steak & # x27 ; 50s when dining out meant Chinese food or Steak and more the local! And it lives up to that rating up in the late 50s and early 70s of its location, the. Ne toronto restaurants 1980s of Yonge Street, a short distance West of Bay Street Portuguese restaurant for! The interior of Quo Vadis restaurant, from Chuckmans Postcard Collection ( chuckmantorontonostalgia.wordpress.com ) back to onions... Three decades Chaumiere was also well known for its coq au vin and scallops Normandie over three.. To lunch there by a friend, prior to my departure for a holiday first stop was....

Gasland Documentary Transcript, Articles T

toronto restaurants 1980s