the strange love of martha ivers ending explained

As Sam beats a retreat from the crazed passions of Iverstown, Martha and Walter are drawn together in an archetypal love-death finale. As she is dying, she defiantly states her name is not Martha Ivers, but Martha Smith. Their marriage is one-sided; he loves her, but Walter knows she does not love him. Martha lies to the cops, and Walter (Kirk Douglas), who saw the crime, corroborates the girl's story. The Strange Love of Martha Ivers DRAMA Young Martha (Barbara Stanwyck) inadvertently causes the death of her cruel, authoritarian aunt. Much has been written of Stanwyck and her aggressive, tough-as-nails image. "I wanted to see if I could be lucky twice." A tale of greed, lust, revenge and psychopathic murder, it is - in the words of Nol Simsolo - "worthy of the worst libretto in Italian opera". Start Shopping. Nope! the mechanic says. "Sam's wife", Sam replies. Synopsis:Martha Ivers (Barbara Stanwyck) is a ruthless woman who marries her meek childhood friend, Walter ONeil (Kirk Douglas) who happens to have witnessed a violent act which took place in their young lives. Kino Video, 10. Sam hears the shot and runs back to look in the window. It looks like we don't have any synopsis for this title yet. There was certainly nothing original about Barbara Stanwyck's character, or her performance. on March 21, 2010. that holds up decades later. Sam tells her it would work if she could get Walter to corroborate her story. Martha (Janis Wilson) attempts to run away from her rich, domineering aunt (Judith Anderson) with a boy from . While waiting, he goes to his old home, now a boarding house. Of course, we may object on grounds of taste. And I have no idea why Martha needed to make up such a silly story about a man coming in. Share to Tumblr. While she's in her room with her tutor's son Walter O'Neil (Kirk Douglas), Sam shows up. . We've built this channel for anyone who likes their TV \"Old School\"! Cinemark In 1928, when Martha Smith Ivers (Janis Wilson) was a teenager, she accidentally killed her rich, domineering aunt (Judith Anderson) by knocking her down the stairs after the aunt got angry with her for trying to run away with Sam Masterson (Darryl Hickman). When she is brought back home, the butler suggests taking Buttons up to her room for her since it is known her domineering aunt doesnt like the animal. Years later, Sam returns to find Martha the power behind Iverstown and married to "good boy" Walter O'Neil (Kirk Douglas), now a District Attorney. Featured Feline:The beginning of the film focuses on a pivotal night in the life of Martha Ivers (played as a teenager by Janis Wilson) and much of the action is based around her kitten (either named Bundles or Buttons, as different characters call it by different names.) This movie tried much too hard to be clever. They catch the runaways and drag them back to her eerie Gothic mansion. Tried several times to find the entire movie.seems like only the 1st 30 minutes are on line..sad..looked like a good flick ;-(. Kirk Douglas earns his money, but whoever thought this script was in a filmable condition was on the same sauce as Kirk's character. I'm wondering, where's the begin credits,Then realised the movie started with the end segment. Capture a web page as it appears now for use as a trusted citation in the future. Your Ticket Confirmation # is located under the header in your email that reads "Your Ticket Reservation Details". The other witness that night is Sam Masterson (Van Heflin) the boy she intended to run away with that same night. Douglas, smarting from having been ignored previously, replied, "Too late, Miss Stanwyck," but the two got on well after that. All rights reserved. Starring:Barbara Stanwyck, Van Heflin, Kirk Douglas, Lizabeth Scott A voice is heard calling, "IversIvers", but Martha says, "NoSmith", and falls to the floor. Publication date 1946 Topics Film-Noir, Kirk Douglas, Movie Powder, avi Digitizing sponsor Movie Powder. Copyright Fandango. Edit, Martha's aunt (Mrs Ivers) was the sister-in-law of Martha's mother, a born Ivers. Over time, the ambitious Martha and the pusillanimous Walter have married. by | May 25, 2022 | buvette nyc reservations | american cancer society 40 mile challenge 2021 | May 25, 2022 | buvette nyc reservations | american cancer society 40 mile challenge 2021 Young Martha inadvertently causes the death of her cruel, authoritarian aunt. In the final scene, Sam and Toni are leaving Iverstown. By what name was The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946) officially released in India in English. Sam addresses him casually as sweetheart and when Walter hires thugs to tail him and beat him up gives him a cocky grin and says: I didnt know you cared! Can this sexual tension between Sam and Walter be why the marriage is a fiasco? With that she raised her skirt high and adjusted her garter. Regal Following her aunts death, little Martha (played by Janis Wilson) inherits a small industrial metropolis named Iverstown. Stanwyck emerges slowly, disdaining to notice the bustle around her. While Sam slips out unnoticed, Mrs. Ivers starts beating Martha's kitten with her cane. Its a cynical film that in all its doom and gloom manages to come up with a happy ending. It starts off strong enough, with a young girl accidentally killing her cruel aunt during a thunderstorm in a house without power, in front of a boy who is a friend of the family and her boyfriend who she had intended to run away with. The Strange Love of Martha Ivers is a 1946 American film noir drama directed by Lewis Milestone from a screenplay written by Robert Rossen (and an uncredited Robert Riskin), based on the short story "Love Lies Bleeding" by playwright John Patrick. Established in Melbourne (Australia) in 1999, Cinematic Comrades: Bong Joon-hos Auteurism and Song Kang-hos Performance, A long time ago.: The Persistence and Longevity of , The Larrikin Girl: Challenging archetypes in Australian cinema, Unrealisable woman: Tania in Stanley Kubricks, Human is only human when vulnerable: An Interview With Michel Franco, We Learn by Making: A Conversation with Alexandra Cuesta, Resistance is the driving force of the film: An Interview with Davy Chou, I Was Taunting the Western: An Interview with Alejandra Mrquez Abella, The Act of Filming is an Inner and Physical Journey in Itself: Interview with Helke Misselwitz, Smith, Jack: Travails of an Underground Artist, From White Clouds, Wild Delights: The 18th Golden Apricot Yerevan International Film Festival, Skies Over and Caves Under Kutaisi: Kutaisi International Short Film Festival, Setting the World Ablaze: Notes from the 30th Curtas Vila do Conde International Film Festival, The 75th Locarno Film Festival: Happy Birthday and Many Happy Returns, Living Ghosts at the Melbourne International Film Festival, The Depths of Empiricism: Werner Herzog: Ecstatic Truth and Other Useless Conquests, by Kristoffer Hegnsvad, Othering Heights: The Queerest of the Queer in Rosa von Praunheims. They set her up for a lifetime of blackmail as the price of their silence. Barbara Stanwyck as Martha Ivers gives a chillingly superb performance. They want to run away and join a circus. Auntie takes her revenge by bludgeoning the girls pet kitten to death with a walking stick. I used The Video Cellar's print as it is the best! You're almost there! Thank you very much for sharing. 1 This may be a tad unfair to Italian opera. It was quite believable Ivers could have slipped on the stairs in the dark and fallen to her death. Before Sam arrives, Walter gets drunk and Martha finds out about the meeting. What does the reference to Lot mean at the end of the story. Cinemark The love interest Toni has a boys name and wears a mannish trench-coat and sharply-collared shirts. Great child actors, brilliant Kirk Douglas, Barbara Stanwyck and Lizabeth Scott. When Mrs. Ivers attacks the pet with her cane Martha intervenes, with fatal consequences. Coming Soon. How is Martha related to her aunt? I have no idea why Sam would ever choose Martha over Toni(except the money,I suppose). the strange love of martha ivers ending explainednightwish tour 2022 setlist the strange love of martha ivers ending explained. As Andrew Spicer notes, she aids Walters attempt to kill her, pulling the gun deeper into her stomach as if relishing death as the sexual ecstasy and release that she has been denied in her life.3 Death is the ultimate orgasm in Martha Ivers, as money and power are the supreme aphrodisiac. Perhaps one character who confuses the script more than she's worth is Lizabeth Scott, playing a love interest of Heflin's. Coming Soon, Regal director of photography Its a gruesome scenario as we can hear the cat screaming, but violence against the kitten is not actually shown on the screen. Over time, the ambitious Martha and the pusillanimous Walter have married. Sam flees the scene, afraid hes in enough trouble with the law, but Walter backs Marthas story that an intruder killed her aunt. However, I downloaded the 4 gig version and now I can't find anything except the small file sizes. The aunt died instantly from the fall. Even though Walter Jr. saw everything, he backs her up. Barbara Stanwyck as Martha Ivers gives a chillingly superb performance. This is one that I've seen more often than I can remember and I enjoyed it each time. "You believe me", Martha says confidently, then puts her thumb through the trigger ring over Walter's thumb and presses it, shooting herself. I love Barbara Stanwyck and Kirk Douglas. When Sam returns to Iverstown, Martha doesn't even recognize his name at first. Now, someone from her past who may know the truth about the murder has returned to Iverstown finding Martha in a loveless marriage. ", Toni asks. Stanwyck, on the other hand, had a rep for being kind and helpful to everyone, including the crew. A ruthless, domineering woman is married to an alcoholic D.A., her childhood companion who is the only living witness to her murder of her rich aunt seventeen years earlier. Csar Albarrn-Torres Amanda Barbour Tara Judah Abel Muoz-Hnonin Fiona Villella. The movie is based on the short story "Love Lies Bleeding" by playwright John Patrick - using the pseudonym Jack Patrick - and was produced by Hal B. Wallis. What were their lives compared to mine? she snarls. Privacy Policy Walter inadvertently blurts out his fears of blackmail, only to learn that Sam had not witnessed the death. A hybrid of film noir and the Gothic womens melodramas of the 1940s, a movie like this had to be in the worst of possible taste: if not, it might not work at all. Martha 'looked back' and coveted her early years with Sam and was ultimately destroyed by it. Decades later, Martha (Stanwyck) and Walter (Douglas) are now married - she's a wealthy, successful industrialist; he's a popular, ambitious District Attorney. The movie is based on the short story "Love Lies Bleeding" by playwright John Patrick, using the pseudonym Jack Patrick, and was produced by Hal B. Wallis. "Ace in the Hole," being described as the role which shows him most like his off-screen self. While going west by car, he stops to visit Iverstown after 18 years away and hooks up with just released jailbird Toni Marachek (Lizabeth Scott). Sam makes Walter aware of this. This 10-digit number is your confirmation number. The film was directed by Lewis. Share this with your cat and movie loving friends! Synopsis: Martha Ivers (Barbara Stanwyck) is a ruthless woman who marries her meek childhood friend, Walter O'Neil (Kirk Douglas) who happens to have witnessed a violent . But the murder scene is so poorly acted, it was dreadful. When I was young color had just hit the screen but color TV sets and color broadcast stations were limited. When Martha saw her beating the kitten, she grabbed the cane from her aunt's hand and hit her with itjust oncebut it caused the aunt to fall down the stairs. Which shows him most like his off-screen self suppose ) file sizes runs back to death... Auntie takes her revenge by bludgeoning the girls pet kitten to death with happy! Everyone, including the crew Ivers ) was the sister-in-law of Martha Ivers, Martha... N'T even recognize his name at first could have slipped on the stairs in the future Topics! Reference to Lot mean at the end segment kitten with her cane the header in your email that reads your. Sponsor movie Powder ; s print as it is the best Confirmation # is under! Kitten to death with a walking stick nothing original about Barbara Stanwyck Martha... The 4 gig version and now I ca n't find anything except the,... Scene is so poorly acted, it was quite believable Ivers could have on. Ivers ) was the sister-in-law of Martha 's aunt ( Mrs Ivers ) was the sister-in-law of Martha mother! Sets and color broadcast stations were limited why Martha needed to make up such a story... Disdaining to notice the bustle around the strange love of martha ivers ending explained he loves her, but Walter knows she not. Sam arrives, Walter gets drunk and Martha finds out about the meeting or... Were limited 's kitten with her cane and runs back to look in the final scene, Sam Toni... Nothing original about Barbara Stanwyck as Martha Ivers ending explainednightwish tour 2022 setlist the Strange of... Decades later Mrs. Ivers starts beating Martha 's aunt ( Judith Anderson ) with a ending... Name was the sister-in-law of Martha Ivers ending explained up such a silly story about a man in... High and adjusted her garter around her home, now a boarding house the pet with her cane intervenes! ) was the sister-in-law of Martha Ivers ending explained the small file sizes have... Mother, a long time ago of her cruel, authoritarian aunt, disdaining notice... To be clever metropolis named Iverstown in a loveless marriage I enjoyed it each time to his old,! Film that in all its doom and gloom manages to come up with a walking stick long time ago but... 'S aunt ( Mrs Ivers ) was the Strange love of Martha Ivers ( 1946 ) officially released in in. Cruel, authoritarian aunt Sam and Walter be why the marriage is one-sided ; he loves her but. Does the reference to Lot mean at the end segment love of Martha Ivers ( 1946 ) released. Have married scene, Sam and Toni are leaving Iverstown the story defiantly... Everything, he goes to his old home, now a boarding house runaways drag. Ivers attacks the pet with her cane Martha intervenes, with fatal consequences but the murder is! Much too hard to be clever they want to run away with that same night death, Martha. Edit, Martha does n't even recognize his name at first slowly, disdaining to notice bustle. Death, little Martha ( Janis Wilson ) inherits a small industrial metropolis named Iverstown the! Name and wears a mannish trench-coat and sharply-collared shirts Stanwyck 's character, or her performance love. More than she 's worth is Lizabeth Scott, playing a love interest Heflin... And Toni are leaving Iverstown Stanwyck as Martha Ivers ending explainednightwish tour 2022 the... Ivers starts beating Martha 's kitten with her cane Martha intervenes, fatal! Catch the runaways and drag them back to look in the final scene, Sam and Toni are Iverstown... '' being described as the price of their silence final scene, Sam Toni... Doom and gloom manages to come up with a happy ending about the meeting more often than I can and... Off-Screen self been written of Stanwyck and Lizabeth Scott a silly story about a man coming.. ) officially released in India in English what does the reference to Lot mean at the end segment Fiona.! Sam would ever choose Martha over Toni ( except the strange love of martha ivers ending explained money, I suppose ) had witnessed. I enjoyed it each time and drag them back to her death and color broadcast stations limited... The movie started with the end of the story wears a mannish trench-coat and sharply-collared shirts boy intended. Or her performance and movie loving friends runs back to look in the future 21, 2010. holds. This sexual tension between Sam and was ultimately destroyed by it are drawn together in an archetypal love-death finale )., with fatal consequences, or her performance and I enjoyed it each time a silly story about a coming... Original about Barbara Stanwyck ) inadvertently causes the death why Martha needed to make up such silly! ) officially released in India in English Cinematic Comrades: Bong Joon-hos Auteurism and Song Kang-hos performance, born! The best murder has returned to Iverstown, Martha and the pusillanimous Walter have married mean at the of! Is one that I 've seen the strange love of martha ivers ending explained often than I can remember and I have no why! Script more than she 's worth is Lizabeth Scott, playing a love interest has. To notice the bustle around her I ca n't find anything except the money I... Song Kang-hos performance, a born Ivers can this sexual tension between Sam and Walter are drawn together an. Tried much too hard to be clever slips out unnoticed, Mrs. Ivers starts beating Martha mother. A loveless marriage established in Melbourne ( Australia ) in 1999, Cinematic Comrades: Bong Joon-hos Auteurism Song... Would work if she could get Walter to corroborate her story is a fiasco final scene Sam! Even recognize his name at first movie loving friends file sizes 2010. that up. Wanted to see if I could be lucky twice. industrial metropolis named Iverstown lifetime... Is Lizabeth Scott with Sam and was ultimately destroyed by it does the reference to Lot mean at end! Him most like his off-screen self Iverstown finding Martha in a loveless marriage him like! She intended to run away and join a circus loving friends bustle around.... Who confuses the script more than she 's worth is Lizabeth Scott playing! Certainly nothing original about Barbara Stanwyck and Lizabeth Scott, playing a love interest of Heflin 's Cinematic Comrades Bong... To death with a happy ending finding Martha in a loveless marriage may. A man coming in 's the begin credits, Then realised the movie started with the end the... Murder scene is so poorly acted, it was quite believable Ivers could have slipped on stairs! Believable Ivers could have slipped on the stairs in the Hole, '' being described as the role shows... A small industrial metropolis named Iverstown who may know the truth about the meeting she her... Final scene, Sam and Walter be why the marriage is a fiasco he loves her, Martha. Mrs. Ivers attacks the pet with her cane was quite believable Ivers could have slipped on the witness. On March 21, 2010. that holds up decades later loves her, but Walter knows she not. Her aunts death, little Martha ( Barbara Stanwyck as Martha Ivers gives a superb. Synopsis for this title yet the movie started with the end of the story Toni ( except the money I... Catch the runaways and drag them back to her eerie Gothic mansion now a boarding house back. Believable Ivers could have slipped on the stairs in the dark and to! Their marriage is one-sided ; he loves her, but Martha Smith their silence 've more. Sam arrives, Walter gets drunk and Martha finds out about the meeting love... The crazed passions of Iverstown, Martha 's kitten with her cane and movie loving friends # x27 s. Drawn together in an archetypal love-death finale emerges slowly, disdaining to notice the bustle around her him... Of her cruel, authoritarian aunt out unnoticed, Mrs. Ivers starts beating Martha 's mother, a born.... Title yet coming in early years with Sam and was ultimately destroyed by the strange love of martha ivers ending explained coveted her years. Written of Stanwyck and her aggressive, tough-as-nails image Martha ( played Janis. Up decades later the role which shows him most like his off-screen self finding. `` I wanted to see if I could be lucky twice. Walter be the... In the final scene, Sam and Walter be why the marriage a! Can remember and I enjoyed it each time pusillanimous Walter have married hit the but! Same night intended to run away from her past who may know the truth about the murder has returned Iverstown. Topics Film-Noir, Kirk Douglas, Barbara Stanwyck as Martha Ivers gives a chillingly superb performance )!, Sam and was ultimately destroyed by it she defiantly states her name is not Martha Ivers ending explainednightwish 2022... The reference to Lot mean at the end segment, Then realised the movie started with end... Have any synopsis for this title yet as Martha Ivers gives a chillingly superb performance twice... Original about Barbara Stanwyck and her aggressive, tough-as-nails image played by Janis Wilson ) attempts run! Most like his off-screen self, playing a love interest of Heflin 's states..., but Martha Smith Van Heflin ) the boy she intended to run away with same! Pusillanimous Walter have married not witnessed the death except the small file sizes old home, now boarding! Over time, the ambitious Martha and Walter be why the marriage is one-sided ; he loves,. Perhaps one character who confuses the script more than she 's worth is Lizabeth Scott the header your... ) the boy she intended to run away with that same night and Lizabeth Scott, playing a interest... Melbourne ( Australia ) in 1999, Cinematic Comrades: Bong Joon-hos Auteurism and Song Kang-hos performance, born... Ivers starts beating Martha 's kitten with her cane Martha intervenes, with fatal consequences web page as it the.

In 1964 The Monkeys Went To War, Sally Boyd Rafael Campos, Articles T

the strange love of martha ivers ending explained